Sunday, February 4, 2007

Massugu ni Go!



I have a simple request for ufotable:

Please please please don’t waste this show with a lame ending!

I decided to watch Manabi Straight out of curiosity. I had serious doubts about the show before I started watching it and that was mainly due to the super cute character designs. My expectations were that of a fanservice ridden happy go lucky show about cute little girls (which were exactly the same as my misconceptions about Binchou tan before I started watching it). Once again, I am proven wrong.

The cute girls are still there but the story is definitely not what I was expecting. It’s very amusing and touching at times and there is a hint that we might get some solid drama later on. In a way, it kind of reminds me of Futakoi Alternative (which is a show I really love). My only fear is how ufotable will handle the conclusion of the series. Over the years, ufotable has been notorious for producing high quality anime works which have a solid and enjoyable story line from the beginning up to near the end then the conclusion is botched up and done in a very lame way which is truly a shame and a waste of all the efforts that have gone into making these shows. The conclusions of 2x2 = Shinobuden, Futakoi Alternative and Coyote Ragtime Show are prime examples.

While I don’t expect Manabi Straight to have an epic conclusion because the story doesn’t support this type of ending, I really hope that they come up with something decent that doesn’t insult our intelligence (like a squid attack or a reset ending or stuff like that).



Like most of their work, the art and animation quality is very high indeed. The music score is also very nice. I love the opening and the ending and I find the clapping sound used as background music quite amusing. The words of the opening song and the dominant use of graffiti in the opening animation emphasises the main theme in the show; rebellious youth. The main characters want to lead their own lives as they see fit and they want to change how things are run even if some of the adults around them disapprove. Actually one of the adults (Shimojima sensie) is very supportive of the group’s cause.

The characters are probably the main attraction of this show. They are very endearing (and I hope they stay that way). One of the characters in particular (Etoh Mei) is very intriguing and I really want to know more about her past and current life. She always pretends to be uninterested in the functions of the student council but she somehow ended up being the unofficial student council advisor! Oh, and she looks cool wearing sunglasses (^_^) Momoha wearing sunglasses, on the other hand, looks like a hippy or sneaky salesman (-_-)



One more thing; I was really surprised when I realised that the girls are all senior high school students. They all seem to have the body build of middle school students. I guess students grow shorter in the future (-_-)

No comments:

Post a Comment